Skip to main content

Consciousness and Quantum Mind

Answering a question whether Consciousness has some underlying quantum basis, some thoughts which occurred to me:
Thank you for this important and fundamental question, which has perhaps deep connotations with not just the mind, but with the very essence of the Universe as well.
During my twenties and all the way till the end of my twenties and going into graduate studies, I was intrigued with consciousness and both quantum mechanics. I used to think while being an undergraduate student in physics if there were some fields emanating in our brain which correlated with or were the underlying basis of consciousness. During graduate studies and studying quantum mechanics, though I was fully occupied in particle physics, my specialization, it still intrigued if consciousness was a quantum mechanical effect. Although during my undergraduate studies I did not know what other people said about consciousness, but I even made a theory of my own about it, with some biological basis, starting with and from intrinsic cellular oscillations. Later on, after completing my graduate studies, I found out that physicists like Frohlich, Hameroff and Libov etc. had done great work in this direction, especially with tubulin dimers in microtubules in the cell cytoskeleton, and my ideas were not really completely wrong.
I learned further that even scientists like Max Planck and Erwin Schrodinger, some of the greatest physicists of all times and founders of quantum mechanics, had expressed deep insights about the subject. Since the times of Planck and Schrodinger, the debate has been on whether the consciousness has some underlying quantum basis.
The great master, Max Planck, himself said in his one historic quote,
Whereas,Schrodinger took a quantum leap in this direction, enunciating consciousness as something which cannot be encapsulated or expressed in physical terms.
In recent times, the most impressive work I have come across is by Sir Roger Penrose, a truly remarkable scientist I have great respect for.
Here is one of his beautiful lectures on the subject:
Francis Crick, the scientist who discovered DNA, himself worked on consciousness during his last years of life and there is a paper he wrote during his last days on this subject. I can find it and post it here, or you can perhaps look it up off the web. It has been many years when I worked on this. He proposed in his last days Claustrum, which is a structure in deep brain, as the possible seat of consciousness.
Now, this is all what I can generally say about the topic from others’ perspective, what I heard or studied myself.
In terms of my own ideas and work, for a long time off and on I thought about this topic and even did a number of experiments. It started with my closing my eyes back then in my college days and trying to perceive how thoughts could have topological or electromagnetic features in my brain. All I could surmise was that the signals were non-local, they could not be pin-pointed in my brain, and moreover they could actually project in all directions outside my brain. This is something which I wanted to express more tangibly and tried to make a model. I was not trained then, was just a student, later I chose to go into particle physics, but before my studies and after completion, I tried detecting signals from cells etc. similar to what others have reported, even trying to make a model, just as so many people have made, but we all reach to similar conclusions, in the spirit of Planck and Schrodinger. Even if consciousness exists with some underlying quantum basis, it is extremely difficult to sense and measure it. First the brain’s environment is too wet and warm for quantum phenomena to happen. Second, there is a lot of damping by the brain tissue, which effectively kills all the biophotons etc produced within the folds of the cerebral cortex. Third, the signals have a lot of underlying basis and you cannot pin-point to a single source, unfortunately.
Now when I think about it, I also reach the similar conclusions like Planck and Schrodinger, consciousness is something more fundamental and has more universal underpinnings, correlations and connections with it. It is not limited to the subject to quantum mind, but it transcends beyond all knowledge and extends itself to infinity, and all the way to theology. There is a mind which is perhaps superset of all minds created.
Perhaps consciousness is like a black hole or like big bang, it is a singularity which cannot be rationally explained. I would personally start from building an understanding of consciousness on the lines of a black hole, because to me it does not seem different from that.
This is all I can say at this moment. I wish I had more time to write about it.
It is definitely a great area, and I called it the last frontier of human science in some of my lectures some years ago.
I have been lately out of touch with this subject for five years now. You could find more about it on the web, from reliable scientific sources (not Sci Fi!).
Here are some of the papers I found for general study and a video by Prof. David Chalmers, who has expounded pretty well on this topic even correlating it with the collapse of the wavefunction:
Discovery of quantum vibrations in ‘microtubules’ corroborates theory of consciousness
Quantum Mind

Wish you all the best in the quest for quantum mind!
Mobin Khan
2 August 2018

Comments

Popular Posts

Story of DMT a simple compound found throughout the nature which has profound effect on human consciousness

Dimethyltryptamine (DMT), also known as N,N-dimethyltryptamine, is a naturally-occurring tryptamine found in various animals, fungi, and plants. These tryptamines are often used by humans for their psychoactive properties, although not all tryptamines are psychoactive. DMT can be found in many species of plants. Genera such as acacia, anadenanthera, mimosa, piptadenia, and virola are some examples. DMT is rumoured to be produced in the pineal gland of human. DMT exists in our brains in order to provide consciousness, a necessary mechanism as a spirit molecule allowing us to gain access to non-material realms. DMT is the most powerful psychedelic know to man. According to researcher and psychiatrist, Rick Strassman MD, “A fundamental role of DMT in our consciousness is suggested by the brain's actively transporting DMT into its confines, using precious energy. DMT may be a spirit molecule, naturally produced and capable of transporting us to different states of mind an

Why symbol one eye reoccur everywhere in the entertainment Industry?

Is symbol one eye just a coincidence or just a fashion statement? The most often symbol in Satanism is the one eye but what is the meaning behind the symbol one eye? We can find the answer is the holy Quran In this verse Allah talk's about our two eyes and about the two ways. one way is the way of righteousness and the other way of evil. Two eyes symbolize that we can distinguish between the two ways truth and FALSEHOODS they symbolize the knowledge of this world and the knowledge of the hereafter.Both are necessary to be good Muslim this is why satan uses the one eye to symbolize the evil way. It closes the other eye the eye of truth the eye from which we acquire divine knowledge of Allah. Satan want you to neglect the next life and get everything you want in this life.  He want you to do whatever thou wilt. Except do the one thing you were made to do , worship God. Don't not think that these entertainment industry artist are happy most of them end u

Symbolism is language for silent communication

To understand the world we live in we must understand the symbol surrounding us this world is run by symbol, symbol are a method to communicating an idea without having to speak a word today. Devil horn: The sign of the horns is a hand gesture with a variety of meanings and uses in various cultures. It is formed by extending the index and little fingers while holding the middle and ring fingers down with the thumb Eye of Lucifer: The most often symbol in Satanism is the one eye but what is the meaning behind the symbol one eye? We can find the answer is the holy Quran In this verse Allah talk's about our two eyes and about the two ways. one way is the way of righteousness and the other way of evil. Two eyes symbolize that we can distinguish between the two ways truth and FALSEHOODS they symbolize the knowledge of this world and the knowledge of the hereafter.Both are necessary to be good Muslim thi